Clover Leaf is looking for a Health Physicist to join our growing team. We are looking for someone who can work as part of a team and individually.
This position is stationed at the Nevada National Security Site (NNSS) located outside of Las Vegas, NV. The position falls under the Deployed ES&H (DSESH) directorate, Weapons Facility Operations (WFO) Group, which supports the Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) weapons programs directorate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Serving as an advisor in matters of health physics/radiation safety to Laboratory management the successful candidate will:
- Independently identify and investigate radiation hazards in the full range of radiation protection assignments;
- Perform work to mitigate radiation hazards and ensure a safe working environment for Laboratory personnel;
- Independently development, implement and evaluate controls and monitoring programs to protect laboratory personnel from radiation hazards;
- Provide technical guidance to health physics supervisors and radiological control technicians;
- Interface with the NNSS radiological managers on emerging issues and problem resolution
- Interface with the NNSS line managers on emerging issues and problem resolution
- Provide oversight of activities at the facilities and in the field to ensure radiological controls are properly implemented
- Provide support for project planning to ensure radiological hazards are identified up-front and proper controls are incorporated into work documents
- Review dosimetry data for laboratory workers to ensure exposures don’t exceed established limits
- Ensure that radiation protection concepts and policies are incorporated into Laboratory designs and activities to protect workers, the public and the environment;
- Serve as an expert advisor in matters of health physics/radiation safety to Laboratory management;
- Provide broad leadership for radiation protection initiatives impacting multiple Laboratory organizations; and
- Mentor and support junior staff in health physics and radiation safety.
- Bachelor’s degree in Health Physics, Nuclear Engineering, or related field and a minimum of eight years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Advanced experience with the development and implementation of programs to meet 10 CFR 835, 10 CFR 20 and/or 49 CFR requirements;
- Advanced experience managing diverse radiation protection issues;
- Advanced experience with radiological controls and the implementation and assurance of related safety measures and requirements;
- Experience responding to radiological incidents and emergencies;
- Advanced knowledge of regulatory and legal requirements and environmental impacts affecting radiation protection in area of expertise; broad knowledge of regulatory requirements in areas outside of expertise;
- Advanced knowledge of health physics principles and techniques in area of expertise; broad knowledge of health physics in areas outside of expertise;
- Advanced skills to conceptualize and communicate major elements of radiation protection to both technical and non-technical personnel;
- Ability to obtain a Q clearance (which includes U.S. Citizenship) and become certified in the LANL Human Reliability Program (HRP).
- Working knowledge of the LANL's radiation protection policies, practices, and procedures;
- Working knowledge of plutonium processing health physics;
- Working knowledge of health physics in a research and development setting;
- ABHP Certification.
- Master’s degree in Health Physics, Nuclear Engineering, or related discipline is highly desired.
- Active Q clearance
Clover Leaf Solutions is a small business headquartered in Albuquerque, New Mexico, with key offices in San Francisco, CA and Pittsburgh, PA, and we are growing. You can be a key part of our team and help us continue to build our capabilities long-term. Our government clients include Department of Energy facilities like Sandia National Laboratories, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, and Los Alamos National Laboratory, while our commercial clients have included globally recognized firms. We specialize in Industrial Hygiene, Safety, Construction Management, and Project Management. We have open, transparent communication without layers of bureaucracy, while also having a strong team to provide backup. We offer health, dental, vacation/sick, and a 401k with a generous match.
Learn more about us at cloversolutions.us
Clover Leaf is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics, or protected Veteran status. Because eligibility for a DOE clearance is required for this position, we ask the question about citizenship.